Tuesday 14 February 2012

Welcome and Hi


Hi, I'm Rj and woman and I’m a Sheffield Wednesday fan (for my sins).

  I haven't had the fortune (or curse as it often seems) of growing up as the Sheffield Wednesday fan or as a football fan full stop. My immediate family can't stand football and I grew up in Hong Kong where football isn't popular at all. I came back to the UK the University at age 18 and within four months met this lovely guy who was pretty perfect apart from the fact he was totally and utterly obsessed with this very strange, unknown to me, football club called Sheffield Wednesday. All I knew about them was that when we were together on Saturdays we had to be next to a radio from 3 PM until 5 PM for this game then 5 to 7 p.m. for this radio show called praise or grumble (which I quite liked). Also if they lost he was a grumpy sod.

  Anyway, I missed most of the 2007/2008 season being  that we had just started dating and that I travel back to Hong Kong at regular intervals for fairly long trips (that's being University student for you). Fast forward to January 17, 2009 (after stupidly missing the Sheffield derby for a reason I know must have been important but can't the life of me remember) I went to my first ever football game. If only I had known this would be the starts of the total and utter obsession... would I have still gone..of course!  Sheffield Wednesday were playing Charlton at home, we had seats in the North stands about 12 rows back and on the centreline. As we approached the stadium  the excitement built up inside me and by the time that the first  ball was kicked I was totally and utterly hooked. I can't explain it, I've tried to but I guess it’s like a religious experience.  My family think I'm absolutely mad (apart from my extended paternal family who are Manchester city season-ticket holders). I don't know whether it was being surrounded by almost 29,000 people most of whom were chanting for one team, I don't know whether it was the electric atmosphere that feels Hillsborough before kick-off, I just can't explain it but suddenly it was like someone flicked a switch and I went from hoping for M’s sake that his team would win to them being MY team and it meaning the world to ME what happened.  I guess it helps that we won 4-1, it was a brilliant game. It was decent season too, finishing 12th and doing the double over United.

Sadly the next season didn't go terribly well but let's not talk about that or the manager who took over from the generally brilliant Brian laws.

Flash forward to now and if I could afford to I would go to every game but I can't. We go to roughly one in every three games and I still get the same feeling as we walk up to the beautiful, beautiful stadium that is Hillsborough. I couldn't not listen/or watch when Sheffield Wednesday are playing, it’s just not possible I feel like part of me is missing if I try. Gone are my Saturdays from August to May from 3 PM to 7 PM.  Gone is my good mood if Sheffield Wednesday lose or draw in some cases however when we win I am the nicest sweetest happiest and generally most lovely person in the world. Now the summer feels like a horrible ordeal where my Saturdays are empty and I long for August.

I have to say at the moment I'm a little bit concerned with Wednesday our consistency has been ... well we haven't had any. We seen to believe that we've won a game before it's even begun and seemed to have forgotten that you have to earn the right to win them. Saturday (against Exeter away,lost 2-1) was case in point. I can't tell you how angry I was, how upset, how gutted but that was Saturday. We're kicking off in 10 minutes playing Stevenage at home and I am as nervous as hell I have trust in Gary Megson but I'm not sure I truly trust our players to turn out when it's important I'm not sure what else we can do. Over the last few days I've threaten many, many times to not listen tonight, to totally and utterly ignore it but here I am with 10 minutes to kick off my Wednesday shirt on nervous but no way in hell would I not turn Wednesday player on couldn't do it you see like every other Wednesday fan probably every other book or fan I believe that my team needs me. I'm not going to pick the result because like I said I'm in a fairly pessimistic mood and I never ,ever predicts that the beautiful blue and white wizards lose. I also do hope we can make a comeback tonight, that we can dust ourselves off and put on a true performance, one that will make us proud to be Wednesday fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment