Monday 7 May 2012

The Downside of May 05th

Right now it feels that Saturday could not have been better if I had won the lottery (which I actually played as I felt that lucky). The feeling of being promoted at a full to the brim Hillsborough was indescribable but that is it,no more league games until August. I know August isn't that far away but come on, I suddenly have this huge gaping whole in my life. No more Saturday morning excitement, no more praise or grumble (that could be a good thing...),no more travelling to Sheffield and getting nervous and excited as we approach Hillsborough. Don't get me wrong I didn't want to extend our season with the playoffs,I will enjoy watching them but as much as I might want to I'll never be able to cheer on any other team.  Yes,I'll try and see the world and reclaim my Saturdays, I will be reminded by friends and family members who do not understand football about all the times I refused to do things or go places because "Wednesday are playing". I will remind myself of all the miserable Saturday and Tuesday evenings after we had lost and how much I cursed the affliction of being a Owl. You see the thing is,we love it,we love the inability to plan things on Saturday,we love the nerves,I even think we love moaning when we f*ck up. Us football fans are a bit like kids when the summer holidays come around,we're so excited at all this free time and all the plans we have, this lasts for all of about 3 weeks then reality hits us. The reality that the summer is long and we miss our friends (the players) and even miss the stuff we complained about. Then come August we cant wait to get back to Hillsborough ,then it gets cold,wet and we lose and we long for the happy days of close season.

I love the pre season build up, the names flying around and the signing of new and exciting players. However last years long,stretched preseason seemed to take it out of me. The constant rumours flying around with so little being finalised until basically the start of pre season.  Should Manderic or Jones be reading this (how bloody likely!) can I beg you to space out the signings so we have little nuggets of Swfc news to get our teeth into every week or so.


I'm off for a little bank holiday DIY, putting up a signed 2011/2012 Wednesday shirt,don't ask how I managed to get it,just say I owe a dog a HUGE thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment